The Importance of Self Development
The fact is, when you are personally well developed, you can develop anything you put your time and mind to!
Self-development is not just about you, it’s about how you can transform the people and systems or businesses you come across.
It’s about having the ability to unlock areas you never thought possible.
Have you noticed that when you have completed or passed a course, you feel great and confident that you have achieved a skill in a certain niche? And so, you should feel happy and proud for your achievement.
But, that’s not the end of the development journey, it’s the beginning because knowledge doesn’t necessary mean Power, it only means you have potential power.
Yes, knowledge is Potential Power but Applied knowledge is Power and that is how one truly develops, by Doing.
Personal development activities are things that;
- Improve awareness and identity.
- Develop talents and potential.
- Build human capital.
- Facilitate employability.
- Enhance the quality of life and contribution to the realization of dreams and aspirations.
Maslow’s Hierarchy of needs explains how one has Self-fulfillment needs in order to achieve one’s full potential.
At the base of the pyramid are all the physiological needs that are necessary for survival. These are followed by basic needs for security and safety, the need to be loved and to have a sense of belonging, and the need to have self-worth and confidence. The top tier of the pyramid is self-actualization, which is a need that essentially equates to achieving one’s full potential, and it can only be realized when needs lower on the pyramid have been met.
To Maslow and humanistic theorists, self-actualization reflects the humanistic emphasis on positive aspects of human nature.
Maslow also suggested that this is an ongoing, life-long process and that only a small percentage of people achieve a self-actualized state.
Self-development is not a once off thing, but a continuous journey until you reach that destination you seek. It is a way for people to assess their skills and qualities, consider their aims in life and set goals in order to realize and maximize their potential.
I suspect, the reason that there is such a small percentage of people who reach the self-actualization stage is because we are often so focused on our outside self, we forget our inside self. And self-development succeeds when you consistently put in the work. Yes, consistency being the operative word.
That is why the average person doesn’t make it as they lack those qualities and give up at the first sight of difficulty or hard-work.
How can one start developing themselves?
- Develop your desired vision – The Goal is to start with the end in Mind. Think about your vision, about what you want and why you want it.
- Do a GAP analysis – It’s important to understand where you stand. Before you can start planning around your vision you need to know your current situation and check how far you are to reaching your desired goal.
- Plan for your personal development process – With assistance from your GAP analysis, plan on the type of development that you need. Be realistic and set yourself reachable goals.
- Implement your plan – You have worked hard on your plan, now just DO IT. Remember knowledge is potential power but applied knowledge is Power.
- Be accountable – Without accountability execution suffers, and a lack of accountability can have a snowball effect throughout your whole progress. Accountability eliminates the time and effort you spend on distracting activities and other unproductive behavior. When you are accountable for your actions, you’re effectively teaching yourself to value your work.
- Get a coach – Sometimes when you want to do something, you need to find people who have done it and learn from them. This will save you the trouble and time of trying to figure it all out by yourself.
- Learn to motivate yourself – It’s all good and well to get coach and surround yourself with people of the same mind-set, but it’s important to learn how to motivate yourself so you are able to push yourself when you are feeling down. Believe me those days are going to come. Remember what got you started.
- Review and update your plan – Development is not a once off deal, you need to continually review and adjust it. There’s nothing wrong with changing your plans, just as long as you don’t deviate from your Goal.
There is nothing you can do that’s more important than being fulfilled. A creative change of inputs into your system is necessary. Learning new skills and adopting new habits can radically transform your life.
This can give you the ability to open yourself up to the creation of your own kind of success. Whether you have superior or less-than-average skills, you can cultivate your success story through determination, self-development and consistency.
“You are essentially who you create yourself to be and all that occurs in your life is the result of your own making.’’